The Royal Library stores over 200,000 volumes, ancient papers, engravings and illuminated manuscripts, the result of the enrichment of the collection established in 1831 by Charles Albert of Savoy-Carignano.

In 1839, with the purchase of Giovanni Volpato’s collection, a valuable nucleus of drawings by Italian and foreign great masters became part of the collections, including 13 autograph sheets by Leonardo da Vinci, to which the famous Codex on the Flight of Birds was later added.

The increase in funds determined the construction of the new site on the ground floor of the East Wing of the Royal Palace. It was inaugurated in 1942 and conceived by the court architect Pelagio Palagi, with the design of monumental furnishings arranged on two levels. After World War II, with the transfer of the House of Savoy’s property to the State, the Royal Library became a public library.

ROYAL LIBRARY IN PHOTOS

VISIT OTHER SECTIONS OF THE MUSEUM COMPLEX

PALAZZO-REALE-Musei-Reali-Torino
armeria-reale-musei-reali-torino
Cappella-Sacra-Sindone-musei-reali-torino
galleria-sabauda-musei-reali-torino
museo-antichita-musei-reali-torino
giardini-reali-Torino-musei-reali
biblioteca-reale-musei-reali-torino

ROYAL PALACE

ROYAL ARMOURY

CHAPEL OF THE HOLY SHROUD

SAVOY GALLERY

ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM

ROYAL GARDENS

ROYAL LIBRARY