Initially laid out in Palazzo Madama, the Gallery was established by King Charles Albert on October 2nd, 1832, on his birthday. It featured a collection of paintings belonging to the Savoy dukes and kings, collected since the late 16th century, from the family’s residences and the Genoese palazzo of the Durazzo family.

In 1860, King Victor Emmanuel II donated the entire collection to the Italian state, and in 1865 the Gallery was transferred to its new seat in the Palazzo dei Nobili in Via Accademia delle Scienze, where it stayed until 2014, when it was moved to its current location. Enriched with important acquisitions, particularly works by Italian Renaissance and early Flemish masters and, in 1930, by the collection of the industrialist Riccardo Gualino, the gallery now displays more than 800 works.

On the ground floor is the section devoted to Piedmonts’ masters of the Renaissance. On the first floor are Italian and international collections from the fifteenth to the early seventeenth centuries, with important masters such as Beato Angelico, Mantegna, Veronese, Gentileschi, Guido Reni, Rubens, and Van Dyck. Finally, on the second floor, are works from the 17th to the 19th centuries, including the famous views of Turin painted by Bernardo Bellotto.

Of great interest is the nucleus of Flemish and Dutch paintings from the collection of Prince Eugene of Savoy-Soissons.

SAVOY GALLERY IN PHOTOS

VISIT OTHER SECTIONS OF THE MUSEUM COMPLEX

PALAZZO-REALE-Musei-Reali-Torino
armeria-reale-musei-reali-torino
Cappella-Sacra-Sindone-musei-reali-torino
galleria-sabauda-musei-reali-torino
museo-antichita-musei-reali-torino
giardini-reali-Torino-musei-reali
biblioteca-reale-musei-reali-torino

ROYAL PALACE

ROYAL ARMOURY

CHAPEL OF THE HOLY SHROUD

SAVOY GALLERY

ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM

ROYAL GARDENS

ROYAL LIBRARY